Event – Diver Medic Technician Course
SSS NETWORK & DDRC PRESENT
DDRC DIVER MEDIC TECHNICIAN
At the SSS Recompression Chamber in Koh Samui, Thailand
On 2nd November 2009
A trained Diver Medic Technician (DMT) is a person who will be expected and capable of performing a range of advanced medical techniques in an emergency. The DMT might be expected and be capable to assist in the initial diagnosis and care of a patient as well as being able to take control of the situation until a Diving Doctor arrives.
This course will cover areas such as diving physics and physiology, gas laws, diving related illnesses and injuries and is an excellent course for those interested in dive medicine as well as being an introduction for physicians and nurses looking to specialize in hyperbaric medicine.
The DDRC (Diving Diseases Research Centre) course consists of 60 hours theory and around 30 hours practical work. Subjects to be covered include:
• Respiratory & cardiac arrest and advanced airway management
• Use of the external automatic defibrillator
• Wound management, including fractures and burns
• Oxygen administration and shock management
• Caring for casualties on site and during transportation
• Diving accidents – DCI and emergency chest decompression techniques
• Intravenous infusion, theory of catheterisation
• Care and treatment of the patient in the hyperbaric environment
• Medical record keeping and liaison with medical services
• Use of medical equipment in remote sites
The course also covers many internationally recognized first aid in the workplace syllabi.
Professionals from their specialist areas are sourced that have first hand knowledge. Books and course materials are good quality industry standard and the equipment & facilities are state of the art.
The DMT Certification is valid for a period of 3 years, prior to expiry of the three year period a refresher course can be undertaken rather than being required to complete the full DMT course. For the full DMT course the training takes place over 10 working days. The DMT Refresher course takes place over 5 working days.
Diver Medic Technician 10 Days (2 – 13 November)
Diver Medic Technician Refresher 5 days (9-13 November)
(Approximate cost in Thai Baht Full DMT Course 60,000 baht – Refresher 37,000 baht)